The Docunexion initiative began with Docunexion: Quebec-Mexico, an initiative developped in 2013 by Makila (Quebec) and DocsDF (Mexico) with the intention of building cultural exchanges and stimulate documentary co-creation and co-production between different countries.
The concept expanded in 2015 with the introduction of Docunexion: Quebec-France which focuses on interactive documentaries and is the result of an ongoing collaboration between Makila, DCM and Sunny Side of the Doc in La Rochelle, France.
• Applicants must be Québec residents
• Applicants must be available to travel to the partnering markets during their respective dates
• Linear projects submitted to Cuban Hat will be considered for Docunexion Quebec-Mexico, interactive projects will be considered for Docunexion Quebec France.
• Applicants to Docunexion Quebec-Mexico must be open to collaborate with Latin American co-producers, co-creators, buyers, or service companies through their project.
• Applicants to Docunexion Quebec-France must be open to collaborate with a French co-producers, co-creators, buyers or service companies through their project.
Each year, one pitch winner from each country will attend Doc Circuit Montreal to present their projects and meet potential collaborators. The winners of the Canadian Docunexion pitches presented at DCM will be offered travel and a full pass to the respective festival:
Docunexion Quebec-France: 1 canadian interactive project will be awarded travel to La Rochelle France in June 2017 for Sunny Side of the Doc
Docunexion Quebec-Mexico: 1 canadian feature documentary project will be awarded travel to Mexico DF in October 2016 for DocsDF
Past winners of both initiatives:
- 2015 FR > QC : Méline Engerbeau + Manon Harsigny | Sea is my Country (France)
- 2015 QC > FR : 1st place: Vali Fugulin | Resilience Songs (Quebec)
- 2015 QC > FR 2nd place: Martine Asselin, Annick Daigneault | Les pieds dans le vide (Quebec)
- 2015 QC > MX : Rosana Matecki | The Oldies
- 2015 MX > QC : Romy Tatiana Graullera + Ludovic Bonleux | Guerrero
Docunexion Quebec-Mexico has been supported by the Quebec Ministry of Culture and Communications through the Groupe de travail Québec-Mexique (GTQM).
Docunexion Quebec-France has been supported by the Ministry of International Relations and Francophone Quebec and the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Development of the French Republic (Consulate General of France in Quebec) through the Fund for Decentralised Cooperation France-Quebec (FFQCD), L’Agence Topo, the Agglomeration community of La Rochelle and France 3 Poitou Charentes.