DOCS IN PROGRESS 2020_CANADIAN SHOWCASE
as part of CANNES DOCS at the Marché du film de Cannes
For the second consecutive year, Telefilm Canada, in partnership with the RIDM Forum and in collaboration with The Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival (Toronto), is proud to announce the Docs-in-Progress - Canadian Showcase.
As part of the Marché du film de Cannes, the documentary section Cannes Doc, will organize Docs in progress to present Canadian feature-length documentary projects at an advanced stage of editing to international decision-makers. This call for applications is open to documentary producers looking for an international premiere, a sales agent and, more generally, significant international exposure.
Deadline for submission: March 2, 2020
Training date: April 20, 2020
Docs in Progress: 15-20 May 2020
• Prepare and train film producers in documentary to reach the European and international market;
• Promote Canadian documentary talent internationally;
• Provide integration to the Marché du film de Cannes;
• Develop international distribution and marketing strategies;
• Establish relationships between Canadian producers and international buyers, distributors and programmers present at the Marché du film de Cannes.
DETAILS OF THE OFFER
Professional activities will be offered to the selected candidates:
• A preparatory workshop including pitch preparation and individualized coaching before departure for the Marché du film de Cannes /Docs in progress;
• On-site support throughout your stay;
• Pitching session in front of an audience of buyers, distributors, festival programmers and international sales agents in the Cannes Doc section.
• Specially curated individual and collective meetings with key players of the international audiovisual, auteur and creative documentary industry.
• International Mobility Grant 1500$ CAN per team member for a maximum of two (2) people. These two members must be a producer and a filmmaker (no other configuration will be accepted).*
• Accreditation to the Marché du film de Cannes for each team member up to a maximum of two (2). **
*The director and the producer can be the same person, in this case, a single grant will be awarded up to 1500$ CAN.
**The director and the producer can be the same person, in this case, a single accreditation will be covered.
REQUIRED PROFILE IN CANADA
A. Who can participate?
• All Canadian (permanent resident or citizen) documentary producers.
• Having a feature-length documentary project (70 minutes or more) in an advanced editing stage;
• Having a 10-minute clip to present (definitely no teaser or trailer);
• Able to make a five-minute presentation in English;
• Available for training in Montreal or online on April 20 or 21, 2020;
• Available for the Marché du film de Cannes and the Docs In Progress May 15-20, 2020 in Cannes, France
B. How to submit an application ?
Send us your complete application file in PDF format including :
1. Updated resumes of the producer AND the filmmaker;
2. A short biography of the producer and filmmaker (in English AND French)
3. A short synopsis of the project (in English AND French)
4. A short project proposal including synopsis, director notes, a summary of the budget and financial structure of the project, and a paragraph on what you would like to find at Marché du film de Cannes (funding, partners, distribution, festivals etc) (maximum 4 pages).
5. Having a 10-minute clip to present (Final clip to be provided following the 20 April 2020 training. No later than April 27, 2020 in DCP format)
6. A photo of the producer
7. A photo of the filmmaker.
8. A visual of the project for promotional purposes
9. Fill out the application form before March 2, 2020 before noon -> HERE
Please send the documents no later than March 2, 2020 via the online form.
Please note that no critical feedback will be given to refused applications.