Submit your projects before September 2nd for the Cuban Hat Pitch!
With several prizes awarded by the industry and the public, this cabaret-style event presented in collaboration with MAKILA Cooperative is one of the most festive and popular activity of Forum RIDM.
From July 8th to September 2nd, Forum RIDM invites all Canadian residing directors and digital media producers to submit proposals for documentary projects: features, medium-length films, single episodes, series, VR projects, interactive works, etc. Projects can be at any stage of development, production or post-production. We encourage bold projects that promote new perspectives on the world. We also encourage projects that use the artistic possibilities offered by new technology, and that can inspire local and international audiences to take a stand on the important issues of our time.
The call for proposals will be followed by a two-stage selection process: first, an expert committee will select five finalists; then the finalists will present their pitches to the public during the 15th edition of Forum RIDM (November 16th to 20th, 2019).
Confirmed Cuban Hat Prizes:
Agence TOPO: A free subscription to its next training and mentoring program in
Cinema Politica: Cash prize + assistance through the “Adopt A Doc” program for the project with the strongest social justice focus
The Documentary Organization of Canada: 1 year membership to each of the members of the winning team
Coop MAKILA: 2 days of pitch training workshop for the 5 finalists
CQAM: One CQAM membership in the associate membership category as well as
DOK.fest Munich: One 2020 festival pass with an access to DOK.forum’s marketplace
FCTMN: One membership for every applicable winner
Forum RIDM: 5 Forum RIDM accreditations with one-on-one acces for 2019
Hot Docs: 1 all-access pass for the 2020 festival (a value of 895.00$)
L’Inis: A discount applicable to one of their training programs
Lussier et Khouzam: $1000 in legal consultation services
PRIM: One prize in production or post-production services
Main Film: $1,000 in equipment rental services and in production and postproduction services + 1 year subscription to Main Film
SLA Location: Prize in rental services
SPIRA: $10 000 in equipment rental services
Tortuga Films: 7-day residency at the Bic with consultation services
Trans & Sub Coop: 50% off on subtitling services (up to 500$)
Videographe: 1 week and a weekend rental of the Digital Lab, and one day use of its digitization services
Xn Québec: 1 year general membership for professionals and 2 tickets to the Numix Gala
- To access amazing prizes in cash and services.
- To present your project to the Canadian and International documentary industry and maybe find funding and partners.
- To improve your pitch for your project and enjoy a collaborative and festive atmosphere.
When is it?
- Submissions open from July 8th to September 2nd.
- Pitch trainings on October 5th, October 26th and November 15th.
- Online Voting from November 8th-18th.
- Pitch contest on November 19th.
Where is it?
Montreal, QC, Canada
Who can participate?
- Open to all documentary media creators residing in Canada.
- Open to all types of documentaries or hybrid genres. Fiction projects are not eligible.
- Open to all types of projects, production stages, genres, formats and media.
- We strongly encourage creators from underrepresented or marginalized groups, communities, peoples or backgrounds to submit.
How can you participate?
- Fill out this form on the Makila platform.
- Submissions are free.
- You must be available for at least two of the three pitch training sessions taking place on October 5th, October 26th and November 15th.
- Neither citizenship nor permanent residence are required.
- You may only submit one project.
- You must submit a video (trailer, sample, video pitch, etc…).